Friday, November 03, 2006

American retail

During my trip to the States, people kept asking me about the cost of living in Europe. Apparently there are a lot of missconceptions about the differences. Here's what I noticed while shopping for clothes:

1) Clothes generally cost more in Italy, sometimes significantly. In general, I would say 30 to 40% more for seemingly (but not really) equivelent items.

2) Most boutique clothing sold in Italy is made in Italy. Almost everything in America is made in Asia.

3) Quality of these asian manufactured items is much, much, much lower. It is difficult to find natural fabrics, while Europeans mainly use cotton, wool and silk.

4) When you can find upscale boutiques in the States, costs are generally around 50 to 100% higher than the same items in Italy (and sometimes more).

5) Global name brand sports clothing and footwear cost 50% more in Italy. Period.

6) Italy is 1 year ahead of the rest of Europe in fashion. It is 2 to 3 years ahead of the States.

I like the Italian system more, especially considering the trade deficit with China.

1 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Italy is definitely not 2 to 3 years ahead of the states! The stuff Italians wear is embarassingly horrible. The quality and price of the clothing here is ridiculous. My Italian friends beg me to give them my clothes or shop for them when I go back to the States.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home