Friday, November 10, 2006

Kaki

Kaki, or persimmons, were the first fruit to really take me by suprise in northern Italy. You see them, hanging on the leafless tree in the middle of winter, like some mutant orange.

The reason they hang ther far into winter is not through laziness. Kaki are divided into 2 types, Astringent and nonastringent. Astrigent types have high levels of tannins and must stay on the tree through several mild frosts in order to develop their flavor and edibility. This process is known as bletting.

As we have has several nights in the 20's over the last few nights, the kaki are ready. Earlier in the week my friend Fabbio asked me if I would like some. Little did I know he'd bring by an entire box of the fruit.

They still need to mature a little, then I can make some jam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home