Sunday, May 11, 2008

Triple Traverse

Last weekend I did the Mt. Dromedary Triple Traverse. I've joined the Wasatch Mountain Club and have the good fortune to spend time with and gain experience from some excellent mountaineers, climbers, and skiers.

The Triple Traverse heads up Tanners Gulch to Sunrise, Jepson's Folly, East Twin, and West Twin peaks, back to East Twin, down to Broad's Saddle and out Broad's Fork. It's an incredible climb, although Tanners Gulch was enough to put a little fear in me, as summitpost.org states:

Warning: Do this route only between early May and late June or early July. This is one of the worst avalanche chutes in the country, so don't attempt it in winter.

Here's a picture of Tanners, it's the coulier on the right.

Luckily our trip was uneventful, but on Tuesday a group following our tracks had a cornice fall out from underneath 2 guys. Luckily they were able to self-arrest.

Here's some pics not involving near death.

1 Comments:

At 4:26 AM, Blogger Eric and Rose said...

That rocks, Clint. That's totally the kind of stuff I want to try to do. If I end up at Hill after Misawa, you'll have to get me into some of that stuff.

In the meantime, I'm starting to try some rockclimbing. I've got my indoor climbing/belaying cert done, just waiting for the first trip. I've also invested in some of the gear. I'm trying to get gear that will work for both rockclimbing and alpining.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home